This section of the website is for anyone wanting to find out more about OFTEC and what it does
OFTEC's vision for the future of the heating industry
As part of our work to support the off-grid heating industry in the UK and Republic of Ireland, OFTEC undertakes a wide range of lobbying and campaigning work. We contribute to formal consultations issued by government and other industry bodies and work cosely with a range of industry partners including the Heating and Hotwater Council and Federation of Petroleum Suppliers.
Our vision for the future of off-grid heating
In June 2017 OFTEC unveiled its vision for the future of off-grid heating, based on meeting four key objectives identified by the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). These were to:
- Keep energy bills as low as possible;
- Ensure the UK has a secure and resilient energy system;
- Reduce carbon emissions cost-effectively at home; and
- Avoid unreasonable upfront costs for consumers which could discourage home improvements.
OFTEC believes that these objectives can be achieved via a two-stage approach:
Stage 1 from 2017 - 2022:
- incentivise the replacement of existing standard efficiency oil boilers with high efficiency condensing appliances through a nationwide boiler replacement programme. This should be supported by mandating heating controls such as functional timers and thermostats when new boilers are installed to further reduce energy use.
Stage 2 from 2022:
- introduce a low carbon liquid fuel as a replacement to kerosene.
The benefits of this approach can be summarised as follows:
A complete solution - addresses carbon reduction and energy efficiency simultaneously
Future proof – a workable, realistic option with the later development of a low/ zero carbon fuel enabling homes to radically reduce emissions while continuing to use technology they know and trust
Affordable – the low upfront cost of boiler replacement will encourage high levels of participation
Accessible and easily explained - a boiler replacement payment scheme is easy to understand and the benefit to the purchaser is immediate
Compatible - uses established heat technologies that are easy to install into rural homes without expensive renovation or modification; well-suited to distress purchase situations
Has large-scale deployment potential – the low level of government investment per home required means more households can be supported than by alternative options
Industry buy-in assured - minimised bureaucracy will guarantee support and advocacy from installers which is vital for measures to succeed
Resilient - the supporting installer, servicing and fuel supplier network is already in place
Pragmatic and cost-effective – a high value solution that will give the best result for least cost and return on investment.
To find out more, order a copy of OFTEC’s vision document.